World's First Multi-DAC DAP
The A&futura SE200 is the world's first Multi DAC player.
Since the release of the Dual DAC AK120 player in 2013, Astell&Kern have not seen any products feature more than Dual DACs in the last seven years.
This prompted them to ask the question, "Why hasn't there been more than two DACs in a player?" So, they set out to become the first manufacturer to use more than two DACs and the result is the SE200.
The SE200 features the latest audiophile DACs from ESS, the ES9068AS in a Dual DAC configuration. Astell&Kern then added a single AK4499EQ, AKM's flagship DAC that is used in our flagship SP2000. Combining the three DACs, they have produced the world's first multi-DAC DAP.
This pairing exhibits the philosophy of the A&futura line to pursue fundamentally different sound than found in typical DAPs. To properly implement multiple DACs, they needed to spend twice the amount of time on development and double the amount of time in properly tuning the player.
Astell&Kern is not content to keeping things the same all the time. They are constantly working to improve on what they have already achieved to bring the most accurately reproduced and best sound to their products.
Independent AMP Sections Designed to Match DAC Characteristics
The SE200 was not designed with one AMP circuit, but multiple, different AMP designs to optimise the different characteristics of the AKM and ESS DACs that are used in the player.
By separating the signals for each channel of Balanced and Unbalanced,
Astell&Kern designed independent circuits that do not interfere with each other to provide the best sound possible.
Your own sound style
The SE200 goes beyond selecting the best DAC for type of music you are listening to.
You can now further customize your sound by choosing from a variety of DAC filters provided by the DAC manufacturer.
With the SE200, you can now choose your own preferred sound profile.
Unique manufacturing technology that takes a step further
Astell&Kern products are often compared to art sculptures, with colorful faces and angles that are not found in other products. This crafting is done using precise metal processing technology.
The SE200 maintains a similar design identity to the SE100 which combines trapezoidal straight lines and curves. These curves are the result of ultra-precision metal processing that has been perfected by Astell&Kern.
After experimenting with different materials for the rear of the SE200, Astell&Kern created a new ceramic rear cover, instead of the glass found on the previous generation SE100. This material not only improves wireless network performance, but produces a more premium feel to the player.
New manufacturing techniques were developed to precisely mold the high-gloss ceramic cover involving seven separate processes. A low-speed processing method is used to prevent cracking and produce a durable backing. The results are a rear cover that is not just beautiful, but functional.
The Aluminum body on the S200 provides maximum sound quality, while suppressing noise as much as possible. The use of laser ground extension technology gives you the best sound possible, without interference or distortion.
The vibration-free processing machines used by Astell&Kern are the same ones used by expensive Swiss luxury watch manufacturers. This is reflected in the crafting of the volume wheel which is processed precisely like the crown of a luxury watch for the best operating feel.
Astell&Kern products are designed to achieve perfect integration at whatever angle you look at it in your hands.
A premium player line evolved
Every time they create a new Astell&Kern product, Astell&Kern push themselves to create an even better version than before. The SE200 builds upon the specs that made the SE100 a popular premium product, while offering new features not found in previous players.
Playback information reflected in light
The SE200 features a volume wheel LED that displays a variety of music playback information including volume range, bit-rate of track currently playing and the current DAC that is being used for playback of music.
* LED can be turned on or off according to user setting.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is an award-winning British technology that delivers the sound of the original master recording. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream or download. Visit mqa.co.uk for more information. Astell&Kern SE200 includes MQA technology, which enables you to play back MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording.
The design of the A&futura SE200 maintains a similar design identity to the SE100, combining bold curves while maintaining a trapezoidal shape identity.
The design of the blended curves on the side of the trapezoidal body of the SE200 is meant to express the idea of the merging of two different types of DACs into one unified player.
The volume knob is divided into two to symbolize the two different DACs used, and harmonizes with the curves on the side of the player to reflect soft light. The precision processing of diagonal lines shows the unique sophistication Astell&Kern is known for.
The A&futura SE200 is the first to apply a new material, called a ceramic plate to the top and rear of the player. Unlike conventional glass, you can see that the light flows deeply and softly around the top and rear of the player.
The rear cover with curved cuts meets the side surface of the player and gently wraps around the wheel, showing a smooth flow of light.
Discover the subtle details Astell&Kern uses to enhance the beauty of the SE200, from the ceramic plates that are precisely processed to fit the aluminum body of the player to the precise lines that encompass the player.
- Multi DAC: AK4499EQ x1 & ES9068AS x2
- New Blue UI
- 32bit 384kHz: bit to bit play
- LED indicator
- Native DSD
- Ceramic Cover: Top & Rear
- Octa-Core CPU
- Body Color: Moon Silver
- Body Material: Aluminum
- Display: 5.0inch (720 x 1,280) Touch display
- Supported Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA
- MQA playback: Services(Tidal Masters), Local files, External USB, MQA-CD(ripped)
- Sample rate: PCM : 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample) / DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo
- / DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo / DSD256(1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
- Output Level: Unbalanced: AKM 3.0Vrms / ESS 2.0Vrms (Condition No Load)
- Balanced: AKM 6.0Vrms / ESS 4.0Vrms (Condition No Load)
- CPU: Octa-Core
- DAC: Multi DAC: AKM AK4499EQ x1 (Single DAC) / ESS ES9068AS x2 (Dual DAC)
- Decoding: Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit-to-Bit Playback
- Input: USB Type-C input (for PC & MAC)
- Outputs: Unbalanced Out (3.5mm) x2 / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported) x2
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth: V4.2 (A2DP, AVRCP, Qualcomm® aptXTM HD)
- Dimensions: 3.02 ”(76.9 mm) [W] x 5.20 ”(132.2 mm) [H] x 0.62 ”(15.8 mm) [D]
- Weight: 9.66 oz (274 g)
- Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- clock jitter 25ps(Typ)
- Reference clock jitter: 200 femto seconds
- built-in memory: 256GB (NAND)
- external memory: microSD (Max, 1TB) x1
- supported OS: Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up
- Frequency Response:
- Unbalanced: AKM ±0.015dB, ESS ±0.023dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz)
- / Balanced: AKM ±0.010dB, ESS ±0.015dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz)
- Unbalanced: AKM ±0.050dB, ESS ±0.065dB (Condition: 20Hz~70kHz)
- / Balanced: AKM ±0.030dB, ESS ±0.10dB (Condition: 20Hz~70kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Unbalanced: AKM 124dB, ESS 121dB @ 1kHz / Balanced: AKM 125dB, ESS 123dB @ 1kHz
- Crosstalk: Unbalanced: AKM -138dB, ESS -138dB @ 1kHz / Balanced: AKM -144dB, ESS -144dB @ 1kHz
- THD+N: Unbalanced: AKM 0.0003%, ESS 0.0006% @ 1kHz / Balanced: AKM 0.0004%, ESS 0.0006% @ 1kHz
- IMD SMPTE:
- Unbalanced: AKM 0.0003%, ESS 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1)
- / Balanced: AKM 0.0003%, ESS 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1)
- Output Impedance: Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (AKM 0.7ohm, ESS 1ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (AKM 1.3ohm, ESS 1.6ohm)
- Capacity: 3,700mAh 3.8V Li-Polymer Battery
- Continuous Playback Time:
- About 10 hours (Standard - AK4499EQ, MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44.1kHz, Unbalanced, Volume 50, EQ OFF, LCD OFF)
- About 14 hours (Standard - ES9068AS, MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44.1kHz, Unbalanced, Volume 50, EQ OFF, LCD OFF)
- Charge Time: About 2.5 hours (Standard - 9V/1.67A Fast charging)